Resistance works. Today, the Republicans had to stop the vote on the Tax Scam bill. As we saw with the Health Care fight, every day of delay improves our chances of killing this thing. The more people, learn about this bill, the more they see the problems with it.
Please help us understand our impact by filling out our call log: https://goo.gl/forms/lbHUvI9h58f0dLqx1
Action 1: Call our Senators and Representatives, and keep their tallies up against the Trump Tax Scam
- Sen. Patty Murray: DC 202-224-2621; Seattle 206-553-5545
- Sen. Maria Cantwell: DC 202-224-3441; Seattle 206-220-6400
- Rep. Pramila Jayapal: (202) 225-3106, (206) 674-0040* (see “Why call House MOCs?" below)
- Rep. Adam Smith: (202) 225-8901, (425) 793-5180*
“Hello, my name is [NAME] calling from [CITY & ZIP CODE]. I want Senator|Representative [NAME] to keep fighting the Republican Tax Bill with everything he/she has. This bill is terrible. It gives free money to the rich, while raising taxes on the poor and middle class, and cutting the government services Americans rely on. They even snuck in a back-door ACA repeal. Please protect us from this terrible bill.”
Action 2: Help Red State Voters to their Senators to Stop the Tax Scam
Same as yesterday, use the tool Indivisible call tool to reach out to sympathetic Red-state voters, but this time ask them to call their Senators about the DEFICIT AND THE JOINT COMMITTEE ON TAXATION REPORT. There is a rift between Republican Senators who deficit hawks, and those who are tax-cut hardliners. Let’s poke it!
Share this link on social media to get more people calling about the DEFICIT AND THE JOINT COMMITTEE ON TAXATION REPORT
* WHY CALL HOUSE MOCS?
We have heard over and over from our U.S. Houses MOCs that even though a bill has passed in the House, they still work with Senate colleagues to defeat the bill in the Senate. Just tell them that you are opposed and want them to do everything possible to stop the bill in the Senate.
Today, the Joint Committee on Taxation reported that the tax bill would raise the deficit $1 trillion more than Republicans had said, and the Parliamentarian ruled that a ‘trigger’ doesn’t meet the rules, and can’t be used to hide the deficit. Fractures are showing in the republican caucus, with deficit hawks demanding changes and tax-cut hardliners refusing. Let’s help them fight, and help our Senators stand strong.
- Washington Post on the developing rift among Republican Senators https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/2017/11/30/c2118302-d5e7-11e7-a986-d0a9770d9a3e_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_taxreform-1142am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.15ee73f0e0d4
- Summary from 5 Calls, covers the various reports on why this bill is terrible https://5calls.org/issue/oppose-gop-corporate-tax-giveaway
- Politico on wavering Republican Senators and what they care about https://www.politico.com/interactives/2017/tax-bill-senate-house-hurdles/
Seattle Indivisible Weekly Meeting
Tuesday, December 5: 7-9 p.m., Woodland Park United Methodist Church, 302 N 78th St, Seattle 98103
Verizon Protest for Net Neutrality
Thursdsay, December 7: 5-8 p.m., 1633 6th Ave, Seattle, WA 98101