We hope you can join us on Tuesday for our regular weekly events: our Resist Trump Tuesday rally and our Weekly Meeting. See the end of this message for more details about both.
Today's Action: Shooting animals in dens is just wrong
If you're a fan of Pod Save America, you might have heard Alyssa Mastromonaco mention about a terrible rollback of rules by Ryan Zinke's Interior Department that will allow 'sportsmen' to shoot swimming caribou from motorboats, or wolves nursing their pups in dens, among other disgusting acts.
Practices that would no longer be federally banned after the NPS rule change include:
- Taking wolves and coyotes (including pups) during the denning season
- Taking black bears with artificial light at den sites including cubs and sows with cubs
- Taking brown and black bears over bait
- Using dogs to hunt black bears
- Shoot swimming caribou from a boat under power or otherwise
Here's what Snopes has to say about this rule change:
"Environmental and wildlife protection groups are condemning the May 2018 proposal, which would roll back regulations put in place under the Obama administration to enforce federal statutes pertaining to predator management in national parks and preserves."
Alaska's elected officials are angry, too:
Alaska Attorney General Jahna Lindemuth said: “These regulations are about the federal government trying to control Alaskans’ way of life and how Alaskans conduct their business.”
And Representative Don Young of Alaska called this move an “illegal jurisdictional power grab.”
Tell Zinke and Trump that this is wrong
- Go to this web page: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/05/22/2018-10735/alaska-hunting-and-trapping-in-national-preserves
- Click on the "Submit a Formal Comment" button
- Tell Ryan Zinke and Donald Trump why you think this rule change is wrong.
- Pod Save America: https://crooked.com/podcast/live-radio-city/
- Sierra Club: https://www.sierraclub.org/press-releases/2018/05/zinke-opens-alaska-wildlife-refuges-extreme-and-cruel-hunting-measures
- Snopes: https://www.snopes.com/news/2018/05/24/national-park-service-hunting-rules/
Resist Trump Tuesday
Tuesday, May 29, 2018, 11:45 - 12:30PM
Henry M. Jackson Federal Building
915 2nd Ave, Seattle, Washington 98104
Join us this Tuesday to learn about Trump’s proposed abortion “gag rule.” If adopted, these new administrative rules would deny Title X funds for ANY healthcare a woman receives at a clinic that also offers abortion services or refers patients to any other provider for abortion services. Unable to outlaw abortion, the Trump admin is seeking to financially force healthcare providers to withhold critical information and services necessary for women to meaningfully exercise their constitutionally protected right to choose.
Come hear featured speaker Hana Hartman (Planned Parenthood Votes) explain how this gag rule would also prevent millions of low-income and uninsured women from receiving routine healthcare such as birth control and cancer screenings at Planned Parenthood clinics that currently provide 41% of Title X funded women’s care across the nation.
Immediately following our rally, we will meet with Sen. Murray's and Sen. Cantwell’s staff from 12:30-1:30PM. We have requested a “deep dive” from staffers on this critical women’s health issue that Sen. Murray has referred to as part of the Trump Admin’s “health care sabotage.”
Join us every Tuesday for Seattle Indivisible’s Resist Trump Tuesday rally followed by our weekly meeting with Senate staff. All are welcome. We need your voice, your passion and your amazing energy.
Tuesday, May 29, 2018, 7:00PM - 9:00PM
Washington State Labor Council
321 16th Ave S., Seattle, Washington 98144
Come join us for our weekly meeting this Tuesday!
Guest speaker Dr. Kim Schrier, pediatrician and candidate for the 8th CD, will be speaking about some of the big problems our state is facing with health care, public education, the environment and what we can do to help solve them.
We’ll also be debriefing on the past week’s biggest events, including how to best fight back against
- “Spygate/Liegate”: Trump's use of repeated lies to attack the FBI and our justice system.
- “Phonegate”: Trump’s refusal to stop using unsecured, hackable non-government phones to conduct official state business.
- “Koreagate”: Trump’s chaos approach to denuclearization summit talks with Kim Jong-Un.
This meeting venue is wheelchair accessible, and can be reached by King County Metro buses 7, 14, 27, and 106, and the First Hill Streetcar.