Last Thursday, The Stranger reported that over 100 people seeking asylum in the United States had been detained at the border, placed in 'detention centers,' and even separated from their children. Subsequently, these people, seeking freedom from violence and persecution, have been sent to U.S. federal prison.
By Saturday, Congresswoman Jayapal had toured the facility and spoke out against ICE's cruel and immoral behavior:
"I hugged as many of them as I could because I just want them to know that we know they are human beings who are seeking safety and security...What's heartbreaking is they were not given any chance to say goodbye to their children to explain what was happening...Most of them don't know where their children are."
On Tuesday evening, Jayapal appeared on All In With Chris Hayes to discuss what she saw. Please share this video link with your friends and family: https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/rep-jayapal-mothers-didn-t-even-get-to-say-bye-to-kids-1254390339649
Meanwhile, our Senators have been hard at work as well, introducing legislation to ban the separation of immigrant parents from their children with the Keep Families Together Act:
“As a mother and grandmother, the idea of having your child taken from you and sent away is an absolute nightmare—and the idea that this Administration is using this as a so-called ‘deterrent strategy’ is horrifying and unacceptable,” Sen. Murray said. “This issue strikes close to home with the reports of so many women being held in our state, so it’s critical we raise awareness, build momentum, and take steps to counteract the Trump administration’s ill-advised and immoral policy surrounding those seeking safety in our country.”
And last, but not least, Congressman Adam Smith also spoke at the press conference in SeaTac on Saturday, and said the following: "I condemn the Trump Administration’s zero-tolerance policy of separating immigrant families. This policy goes against the very ideals that our country was founded on, and I will continue to fight to keep families together." 
Let's thank our Members of Congress for standing strong against the Trump Administration's unjust and cruel treatment of human beings fleeing oppression and violence, and ask them to keep speaking out strongly against this and any future immoral acts.
"Hello, I’m [name] from [city, zip]. I want to thank [Senator/Representative name] for speaking out against the Trump Administration's immoral separation of families. Please keep fighting to have these people treated with dignity."
- Sen. Patty Murray - 1-206-553-5545
- Sen. Maria Cantwell - 1-206-220-6400
- Rep. Pramila Jayapal - 1-206-674-0040
- Rep. Adam Smith - 1-425-793-5180
Be a supporter of the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project (NWIRP), which helps to defend people like these asylum seekers, by making a donation: https://www.nwirp.org/donate/
The NWIRP is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, which means that your contributions are tax-deductible.
-  Immigrant Mothers Separated From Children Are Being Held in a SeaTac Prison: https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/06/07/27243817/immigrant-mothers-separated-from-children-are-being-held-in-a-seatac-prison
-  Rep. Jayapal Met With Asylum Seekers Held at SeaTac Prison: https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/06/09/27350453/what-rep-jaypal-saw-inside-the-seatac-prison-where-206-immigrants-are-locked-up
-  Press release announcing the Keep Families Together Act: https://www.murray.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/newsreleases?ID=EB2BDDEF-CBCE-43BE-8EB6-734744795787
-  Adam Smith's statement: https://adamsmith.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/smith-sends-letter-voicing-concerns-with-inhumane-family-separation-and