Official Daily Action for Sunday, July 15
Seattle is in the process of selecting a new police chief. People were shocked when Interim Chief Carmen Best was not among the finalists. Just this week, after pressure from the community and the withdrawal of another candidate, Mayor Durkan announced that Best was back in the running.
Best is well-liked in the African American community, and by the police officers who work for her. She is local, having grown up in Tacoma, and has worked her way up through the ranks. She has a unique combination of qualities that could help to heal the relationship between SPD and the residents of the city.
Email Mayor Jenny Durkan, and let her know that you want her to select Carmen Best for Police Chief
Mayor Jenny Durkan email: email@example.com
Points you may want to mention in your email
- Carmen Best is well liked in the local African American community and among police officers. That puts her in a unique position to improve the way police in this city interact with black people.
- You would like to see a woman of color in the role of Seattle Police Chief
- You like the idea of someone being able to work hard and rise to the top of their field.
- You like the idea of a local candidate who knows Seattle, and has deep roots in the community.
- Carmen Best has been doing a good job as Interim Chief, and will be able to step into the role with little or no ramp-up time. That's important, because the Seattle Police Department has a lot of work to do to gain the trust of the community.
-Sign up for a #SaveSCOTUS text-banking shift with MoveOn.org. In these shifts you will contact voters in states with undecided Senators and urge them to contact their Senator: https://front.moveon.org/join-moveon-text-team/
-The weekly Seattle Indivisible Meeting continues as usual, Tuesday, July 3 at 7pm at the Washington State Labor Council!
-Weekly Resist Trump Tuesday Rally is continues at 11:45am outside the Henry M. Jackson Federal Building, followed by a 12:30pm meeting with our Senators’ staffers that is open to all.
-Canvass with your fellow Seattle Indivisible members to Flip the 8th on Sunday, June 22 at 1pm at Gravity Coffee in Maple Valley! If you can attend, please reply to firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact information, and make sure you RSVP directly with the Washington Democrats here: https://www.wa-democrats.org/ngpvanforms/8014
-Seattle Indivisible is proud to welcome author and activist Amy Siskind to Seattle this September 27. Proceeds from this event will be split 50/50 between the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and Seattle Indivisible's ongoing voter registration and turnout promotion efforts.
Tickets are available for $10-$14 from Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/an-evening-with-amy-siskind-tickets-47932385054
Do you have an idea for a future daily action? If so, please e-mail us at email@example.com.