American people all over the country have been calling for the end to the dehumanization and horrendous abuse of immigrants and migrants by the Trump Administration – and it’s working. This issue and the outcry by outraged Americans cannot be ignored by those in charge of ICE and CBP (Customs and Border Protection), its parent agency. This week we saw the courts declare a deadline by which immigrant children must be reunited with their parents, and the rush to comply has been a relief, even if it is a belated redress that should have been completely avoided by keeping families together and free of abuse in the first place.
Did you know? Trump’s grandparents were immigrants. If a “no-tolerance” policy had been in place when they came to this country in 1885, fleeing a Germany that had been ravaged by war and repeated invasions by neighboring countries, including Spain and France, Prussia, Russia, and Austria, Donald J. Trump would not be in the position he enjoys today.
ACTION: Call or Email Your MOCs to Defend Immigrants
Today, we are asking you to choose ONE OF THREE possible actions to continue to defend migrant and immigrant people from the continued deplorable and inhumane abuses by ICE and CPE. Email or call your MOCs to tell them what you think!
Rep. Pramila Jayapal – https://jayapal.house.gov/contact/email
Rep. Adam Smith – https://adamsmith.house.gov/contact/email-me
Sen. Maria Cantwell - https://www.cantwell.senate.gov/contact/email/form
Sen. Patty Murray - https://www.murray.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contactme
OR, leave voicemail for MOCs:
Rep. Pramila Jayapal--DC 202-225-3106; Seattle 206-674-0040
Rep. Adam Smith--DC 202-225-8901; Renton 425-793-5180
Sen. Patty Murray:--DC 202-224-2621; Seattle 206-553-5545
Sen. Maria Cantwell--DC 202-224-3441; Seattle 206-220-6400
YOUR CHOICE: select ONE ISSUE below and call/email!
1) Demand Accountability for Sexual Abuse in Immigrant Detention – more than 1,100 reports of sexual abuse of detained immigrants – groping, verbal threats, and rape – have been made, with over half of the report naming ICE officers as the perpetrators. This is absolutely unacceptable, and Congress has the power to end the abuse of detained immigrants, by adding an amendment to the Homeland Security appropriations bill.
SCRIPT wording: “I am calling to protest the sexual abuse and assault reported by immigrants detained by ICE. Please consider legislation in the Homeland Security appropriations bill to end this abuse and to hold ICE accountable. Thank you.”
2) Ensure Legal Representation for Immigrant Children – the more than 2,000 children in ICE custody separated from their parents, some as young as three years old, have no access to legal representation. Even a child who is accused of a crime has the right to legal representation in the U.S. Congress has the power to pass legislation that would provide legal counsel for these very vulnerable children.
SCRIPT wording: “I am calling to express my deep concern for the welfare of immigrant children detained by ICE who are subjected to immigration hearings with no legal representation. This is inhumane and unjust. Please consider legislation that would require court-appointed legal representation for minors in immigration hearings. Thank you.”
3) Block the Indefinite Detention of Migrant Children and Families – a federal judicial ruling twenty years ago set limits on the time migrant children can be detained, and in 2014 this detention limit was set at 20 days. However, Congressional Republicans have put forward a bill to override the 20-day limit. Keeping children, and their families, in detention with no limit on the duration would be another inhumane and deplorable action.
SCRIPT wording: “I am deeply opposed to legislation that would abolish the limit of time that immigrant children and their families can be kept in detention. The attempt by Republicans in Congress to do so is cruel and inhumane. Thank you.”
“Trump’s Ancestral Village Abounds With His Relatives. Few Admit a Link.” -
“The President In 1885 Didn't Stop Immigrant Friedrich Trump From Coming To America” -
"Judge rejects Trump administration’s blanket delay to reunite immigrant families" - https://chicago.suntimes.com/immigration/immigration-separated-families-reunification-deadline/
Thanks for 5calls.org for information included in the above actions.
DON’T FORGET! – Upcoming Events
- The weekly Seattle Indivisible Meeting continues as usual, Tuesday, July 10 at 7pm at the Washington State Labor Council!
- Weekly Resist Trump Tuesday Rally is back to its normally scheduled time, 11:45am outside the Henry M. Jackson Federal Building, followed by a 12:30pm meeting with our Senators’ staffers that is open to all. Resist with us!