Multiple Indivisible groups are joining forces to host a Constituent Organized Town Hall for Senator Patty Murray and Senator Maria Cantwell.
We are living in a much different world than we were just a short time ago. This time in history will be defined by those brave enough to stand up for what we know is right, no matter the costs. That goes for you, me, and our elected representatives. This time is too important for us not to have access to our Senators.
Currently, both Senators Murray and Cantwell’s offices do not have town halls scheduled in Washington State where they can meet with and hear the concerns of their constituents. Indivisible Groups in Washington State are working together to provide the platform for our Senators to engage in meaningful dialogue with the people of their state, all they have to do is show up.
Town halls are a basic part of our democratic heritage and every Member of Congress (MoC) should host them in order to hear from their constituents directly. Over the year, a MoC’s schedule is split between time “in session,” when they’re expected to be in Washington, DC attending to legislative business, and “recess,” when they go back to their districts or states. These recess periods—also known as “District Work Periods” on the congressional calendar — are the designated periods for MoCs to be home engaging with constituents. The expressed purpose of these recesses is to make sure that MoCs don’t lose touch with their constituent’s concerns.
And right now, we have major concerns.
- We are concerned about what the future of what health care looks like. Can we save the ACA? What the Senator can do, and how we can help?
- We are deeply disturbed by the unconstitutional “travel” ban and frankly terrified at what may come next.
- Gorsuch’s Supreme Court nomination is troubling to different people for different reasons whether it is the potential of Roe V Wade being overturned or that the seat was stolen in the first place.
- We do not know where our President’s loyalties truly lie. We never will until his tax returns are public and he completely divests from anything close to a conflict of interest.
- We will not be satisfied with anything less than an independent, bi-partisan, and public investigation into possible Russia-Trump connections
What are you concerned about? Show up and make your voice heard.
We would also like to get the senators to commit to these things:
- Holding more town halls with their constituents
- Commitment to protect immigrants from illegal detention, deportation and/or allowing lawful migrants to enter the country. In other words: This is America. We do not discriminate base on race, religion, country of origin, sexual orientation or sexual identity. Period. We need our Senators to stand up for those who may not be able to stand up for themselves.
Please RSVP: Space is limited.
Doors will open at 6PM and the event will start promptly at 6:30PM
Parking is also limited so please set up a car pool if you can.